Thursday, March 26, 2015

Morning track

Because Cal is technically on spring break (not observed by grad students), no coached track workout today. Since I was on my own, I decided to do it in the morning instead of at 5:30 pm. Overall a good workout, 3 x 1 miles at race pace, but definitely some pros and cons vs. the standard Thursday track.

Pros
- Not fatigued from working all day
- Felt good to start the day with a run
- Leaves evening open for a "shake out" swim
- Forces me to be responsible for my own pace 

Cons
- Harder to hold race pace without using others on the track for mental pull
- Splits weren't as consistent 
- Was pretty hot out 

And in modeling my coach, mentor, friend, and rival, Kevin Karr, I got myself an espresso on the way from track to work. Maybe next time we're at the same race, I'll come across the finish line first and he'll have to start copying my habits. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good workout but not feeling sorry for it being too hot; we had windchill of nine degrees!

    ReplyDelete